I am so behind on writing this! I suppose that's what happens when you have a baby ... time just seems to fly by and free time is a thing of the past. But I am taking advantage of a nap as I take some time to finally share Grayson's birth story. 

Grayson was already just about two weeks late as it is, so I had a scheduled induction on Saturday, December 2. So Joey and I arrived at the hospital around 9am on December 2, checked in and I got settled in. 

The process was pretty calm and easy but my nerves were out of control as this was all new to me and I had no clue what to expect no matter how much I have read about "what to expect". 

But the nurse came in, inserted my IV and got the pitocin flowing to get my labor going. While the nurse was getting all that going, my doctor came in and explained pretty much what to expect and she was hopeful the baby would come today if all went well as I was already at two centimeters. But unfortunately, as we would find out, not all was well. 

A few hours after being in the hospital I started feeling contractions and before I knew it nurses were rushing into my room and put an oxygen mask on me saying the baby's heart rate was dropping. Thankfully about ten minutes later, all was well and both the baby and myself were doing good. 

After many visitors and playing games to pass the time, it was about 9pm and the doctor came in and broke my water and then the contractions started getting fairly strong. Unfortunately I was only 4 centimeters dilated with no signs of the baby coming anytime soon. I was in this for the night. What was hoped to be a short labor was already at twelve hours. 

About another hour passed and I decided to get an epidural. Once again, I was scared to death and held tight onto Joey as a fairly thick needle was inserted into my lower back. It was a weird feeling. I can't really say that it "hurt" but it was definitely uncomfortable and not what I was expecting. I actually thought an epidural numbed you completely from the waist down, but to my surprise I was still able to move my legs. I basically knew someone was touching me but couldn't actually feel them touching me ... if that makes ANY sense. 

Well, hours passed with no progression all night and with a few more scares of baby's heart rate dropping and more oxygen on me. Let's just say I didn't get much sleep. 

Around 6am, on December 3, my doctor came in my room, checked to see where the baby was at and sadly he had not dropped yet and I hadn't dilated any more. She then told me I would have to go in for an immediate c-section. I didn't even have time to process this and before I knew it nurses and doctors were coming into my room and getting me ready for surgery. 

I also had to get an EKG on my heart due to my heart rate being tachycardic but thankfully all checked out okay in that area. 

Joey could see the fear across my face and did call my parents to pray as they were already taking me in. To be honest, surgery doesn't scare me ... but being AWAKE during surgery scared me like none other. 

Before I knew it, I was lying in the surgical room being given more numbing medication and also a calming medication as I was literally trembling with fear. They did a poke test (which I didn't feel) and we were good to go. 

They then brought Joey in and he sat by my head as they began to cut. 

I felt everything in the sense of that I felt them cutting me open but didn't feel the pain part of it. So weird!! Joey actually said I looked like the guy from Braveheart at the end of the movie when they are basically pulling him apart. It is not a smooth process ... there are lots of tugs and pulls to get that baby out. 

About fifteen minutes later we heard a cry and our baby boy was out safe and sound. We then found out that he was just so big that he basically would have never come naturally. In fact, while the pulled him out, the doctor even exclaimed, "here's your baby toddler!" 

Grayson was born on December 3, 2017 at 8:05am, weighed 9.2 pounds and was 20 1/2 inches long.

Joey then went over to cut the cord as they finished and closed me up. 

I was also able to hold Grayson right away and the sweetest nurse took Joey's phone and captured every moment. Thank you to whoever that nurse was!! You captured the most beautiful and memorable photos and videos (one of them being the photo at the top of this post). Priceless. 

After everything was over, both me and Grayon were perfectly healthy. After just about 24 hours of labor, it was all worth it when I first held my son ... no amount pain can ever take that feeling away. 

It was an experience for sure and one I will never forget. I am especially grateful for my husband, Joey, and all his support for me during the labor and even more after. 

These past two months have been so wonderful and difficult all at once but I am so excited to be a family and can't wait for our next baby ... way down the road of course. 

xoxo, Toni